Thursday, September 6, 2012

Day 158: 9/5/12

Miles today: 16.0
Total miles: 2,063.7
Miles remaining: 120.5

Today was a crazy wet day. It rained all night and throughout the morning, so every little stream and brook was swollen and flowing hard. The trail itself was a stream for much of the day so I had to wade through COLD water on and off all day.
At one point the trail intersected a stream that had been dammed by beavers. Because of that dam and the recent rain the water was so deep I couldn't make it across. So I walked around the perimeter of the dam, trying not to fall in because who knows how deep it was. Stupid beavers. I find it funny that I'm actually cursing beavers in earnest. Who does that??
Then came two big river fords. The first was the west branch of the Piscataquis River. That was scary. That current was so fast I could barely keep my footing. The second big ford came at the end of the day, the east branch of the same river. Not quite as fast of a current, but that water was deep, all the way up to my waist. I'm glad that's over, hopefully there won't be too many more of those.
A hard day, but luckily my spirits were up. Normally the rain bums me out but today was kind of fun. Sort of a water adventure sports kind of day. And all it cost was some wet shoes.
Tomorrow I head into Monson, my final town stop on the AT.

Camping near the AT about a half mile north of Shirley-Blanchard Rd.

No comments:

Post a Comment