Monday, September 10, 2012

Day 162: 9/9/12

Miles today: 16.6
Total miles: 2,122.2
Miles remaining: 62.0

A good day. Broke camp with Deep, Jaybird, Noodles, and Pancake. Told them about this funny dream I had last night that I was on a city bus full of people singing Harry Belafonte tunes.
Had to climb four mountains today which was to be difficult by all accounts but they turned out to be pretty easy. From the top of Whitecap Mountain I caught my first glimpse of Mount Katahdin, the northern terminus of the AT. It was covered in clouds so didn't make for much of a photo, but there it was nonetheless. The one singular goal of mine for the past five months, there before my eyes. The end was literally in sight.
From Whitecap the rest of the trail before Katahdin is child's play. No more mountains, no more crazy rock climbs, just trail. It's a huge relief to have all the hardest parts of Maine behind me.
I spent the rest of the day hiking with an older guy Sandhican, whom I'd met a few days back in Monson. We stopped for the day near a lake with a sandy beach and made camp. I had dinner on the beach after dark under the clearest night sky that I have ever seen. Countless brilliant stars, planets, the Milky Way, all of it.
Only a few more days left before I summit Katahdin. The trail has been such hard work lately that I haven't even stopped to realize how close I am. But now I can feel it. The end is literally in sight.

Camping by Crawford Pond.

No comments:

Post a Comment