Sunday, April 15, 2012

Day 14: 4/14/12

Miles today: 9.3
Total miles: 171.7

Good day today, lotta fun. Hiked down to Fontana Dam, met my cousins Kevin and Matt who drove up to visit me on the trail. They took me to Fontana Village to buy groceries, then we had lunch (cheeseburger and beer, hooray) and hit the trail. After crossing the dam and heading into the Smokies we climbed pretty much the biggest hill I've ever seen: Shuckstack mountain. The books say it's only 3800 ft but I'm pretty sure it was at least 96000 ft. There was a rickety fire tower at the top which Matt and I climbed to see the view but that thing was mega sketchy.

Kevin and Matt left me some jerky and some Crown Royal (thanks again, fellas, you made my week) then headed back down while I headed up to camp.

1 comment:

  1. We had a blast Justin! How about meeting up again at Laurel fork gorge / falls? Seem doable?

    ReplyDelete