Thursday, April 5, 2012

Day 5: 4/5/12

Miles today: 15.4
Total miles: 58.6

Long, grueling day today but already I feel my body adjusting. Today's hike would've been impossible just a few days ago. Really getting used to the terrain, which is far more demanding than I'd thought it would be. From some of the pictures I've posted this week one might look at the southern Appalachians and see mere pleasant rolling hills. But they're mountains, and when you hike one mile and gain 2000 ft in elevation you feel it. To climb five mountains in one day is a great hike.

Socializing continues to be a fun part of the day. I hike in solitude by day then meet up with others at camp. Tonight's crew is a small group, at Tray Mountain shelter. It's a beautiful campsite tonight. Among those present are "Balls" and "Sunshine," (trail aliases) a father-daughter duo. Last year they thru-hiked the PCT, and after this year's AT hike they'll attempt the CDT next year, making Sunshine the youngest person ever to achieve hiking's "triple crown."

The sun has set on day 5, so I'm going to sleep soon, no doubt to continue the trend of having the most vivid, weird, goofy, twisted, and crazy dreams that I've had since starting this trip.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, you really look like you're having a great time out there on your own out there in the wild. Thanks for uploading the pictures, and keep 'em coming!

    I have to say that you really look like you're in your element! I miss you tons, buddy and I think about you every frickin' time I go out to get a smoke or walk by your empty apartment on my way to the store or out to the City to sell my brownies [even if I can't get online as often as I'd like].

    I'm really glad that your foot wasn't broken, nor was your knee too screwed up to go on this journey. Lord knows you needed this!

    Keep it safe, I wanna see you coming back in one piece with one hell of an awesome tale of wonderment to beguile the ladies with!

    I'll be keeping track of you as often as I can [all the while trying annoy the hell outta you with these nonsensical rants, jerky!]

    Be safe. take care. Drink plenty of fresh, clean water. Change your socks as frequently as possible. DON'T SMOKE. And as soon as you get to Vermont, take a huge steamy dump right on the state line with a knife in it and a card that says "YOU."

    ReplyDelete