Friday, April 20, 2012

Day 17: 4/17/12

Miles today: 13.8
Total miles: 209.8

Summited Clingman's Dome this morning. At 6,643 ft it's the highest point on the Appalachian Trail. Then hiked the rest of the day through lush pine forest. I was half expecting some Ewoks to pop out of the woods.

Staying at Icewater Spring shelter. It's pouring rain right now, but I was lucky enough to have set up my tent before it came down. I'm inside the shelter itself with about 20 others, hunkered down and huddling around a fire. Haven't hiked in full-on rain yet but it's coming. Maybe tomorrow.

I'll have just enough food to get out of the Smokies, then I've got a resupply package waiting for me at a nearby hostel where I hope to get a shower and do laundry. A few days later I'll be in Hot Springs for another resupply and some other town conveniences.

Most of us are already starting to obsess about food; I've burned off most of my body fat so staying fed is becoming the challenge that it will be for the next several months.

No comments:

Post a Comment