Friday, May 18, 2012

Day 48: 5/18/12

Miles today: 10.4
Total miles: 629.8

Another short day. Left the hostel around 10am, and arrived at Pearisburg, VA around 3. Did the town thing today - motel, shower, laundry, dinner, resupply. Tomorrow should be a longer day - 15-20 miles.
Ordered some new shoes today, I should get them in the next week or so. I'm pretty excited about that. I think that my current pair is about worn out after 600+ miles.

On listening to music while hiking: today is the first day I've listened to music on this trip; I'd gone 47 days without putting in my headphones. An odd thing for a musician. I'd been enjoying listening to the sounds of the world and I guess I didn't want to spoil it. Plus most of the genres of music I listen to, i.e. jazz, punk, hip hop, are urban forms and didn't seem to make much sense out here. But as soon as I put on some Richard Groove Holmes that all changed. Made perfect sense in the woods. I'll be sure to have the iPod handy from now on.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the blogging, I am go happy you are communing with nature. Natural sounds enrich the soul. However Music is man's beauty of expression. Contrary to the horrors of mankind, Music is the most beautiful thing man can create and it communicates emotion which makes it easy to understand by all mankind.
    Where do you send your shipments to since you are on walkabout? Curious.
    Be happy and have a great fun, yours truly, David Malespin (cityswing)

    ReplyDelete