Friday, May 25, 2012

Day 54: 5/24/12

Miles today: 16.3
Total miles: 713.1

Some great hiking today. Got an early start, courtesy of some roosters at the hostel. It was actually a nice way to wake up; beats an alarm clock any day. I was on the trail by 6:30 this morning.
Today I hiked to McAfee Knob and had the traditional photo taken sitting on the end of the ledge. All thru-hikers have this photo taken at McAfee. Sort of a rite of passage. Then onto Tinker Cliffs, some really nice rock formations with stunning views of the valley below. It was pretty foggy but the view was remarkable nonetheless.
Got into camp nice and early thanks to the early start. Perfect branches made for easy, textbook bear bag hanging. Today was a good day.
Tomorrow we'll have a short hike into Daleville for a long-term resupply (heavy backpack, here I come) and to an outfitter to pick up my new shoes - hooray!

Staying at Lambert's Meadow shelter.

1 comment:

  1. Great pic. Justin! I know the 'hooray' feeling about a new pair of outdoor boots. I just received a pair of wader boots after missing some good days of spring fly-fishing due to my old ones finally coming apart while walking in the stream. I'll try them out today on the Dowagiac river. Mom and I are looking forward to meeting up with you at Rockfish gap! I'm told there's some good eastern stream fly-fishing out of Waynesboro. Keep on keeping on!

    ReplyDelete