Thursday, May 24, 2012

Day 52: 5/22/12

Miles today: 10.1
Total miles: 690.1

More rain, thunder, and lightning this afternoon so I cut the hiking short at 10 miles today. I'm cold and wet but I can think of worse ways to spend the afternoon than hanging out in the woods drinking coffee and hot chocolate. Nawmsayin'?

On word-of-mouth communication: an interesting phenomenon for those of us who are otherwise technology-dependent, and heavily relied upon in the thru-hiker community. I've become very selective with what I listen to, however. For example, I definitely heed any advice I hear about resupply options, reviews of towns, restaurants, hostels, etc. But I do NOT listen to anything regarding weather, terrain, or elevation. It's either inaccurate or a bald-faced lie. "Virginia is flat.". Lies. All LIES. Virginia is hilly and rocky. Or how about "the next few miles are all downhill." LIES! ALL OF THEM! So yeah, word of mouth. Use at your own risk.

Staying at Pickle Branch shelter.

No comments:

Post a Comment