Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Day 49: 5/19/12

Miles today: 19.3
Total miles: 649.1

Left Pearisburg this morning with three other hikers. Pictured below from left: Incline, me, a soft dog, Socks, and Wiseguy.
Steep climb onto the trail, then business as usual. The terrain was very tough. Very rocky. This made for a slow painful hike. I'm hopeful that my new shoes will resolve this once I pick them up in a few days.
Because I was so slow today I didn't have much daylight when I got to camp. Thus I couldn't hang my food because it was too dark. Wiseguy had seen a big bear nearby so I had to figure something out. I ended up locking my food in the privy, I kid you not. At the time of this writing I can only hope the bear won't tear that privy open. I'll take pictures tomorrow morning.

Staying at Pine Swamp Branch shelter.

5/20/12
Addendum: the bear did not get the privy open to steal my food. This answers the question, "does a bear s&$@ in the woods?"

No comments:

Post a Comment