Thursday, May 24, 2012

Day 53: 5/23/12

Miles today: 6.7
Total miles: 696.8

Got up this morning and immediately stubbed my big toe as hard as one has ever stubbed a toe. Took a nice chunk out of my toenail. Made today's hike very difficult.
The trail today was mostly rock climbing. Had to stow my trekking poles on my pack to use my hands for climbing. The climax was a large rock formation called the "Dragon's Tooth." The climb down was even trickier and made even more difficult by the toe injury. The group I was hiking with stopped for the day at Four Pines hostel in Catawba. Normally six miles would be too short to call it a day but it was a grueling six and it was starting to rain so it was a good call.
I'm hoping my toe will feel better in the morning or it'll really slow me down.

1 comment:

  1. The way you blend in the picture with the Dragon's tooth rock formation, you should have the trail alias 'chameleon!'

    Despite the challenges, you're still lookin' good out there!

    ReplyDelete