Sunday, May 27, 2012

Day 56: 5/26/12

Miles today: 18.5
Total miles: 741.0

There is a phenomenon on the AT known as "trail magic." It's a loosely defined term to describe acts of kindness or generosity to hikers, usually coming from locals who live near the trail. Common examples of trail magic are coolers of water or drinks left for hikers at road crossings or "hiker feeds," where someone will set up a grill and cook burgers, dogs, etc. to feed hikers who are passing through. Or it may be a ride into town on a cold, rainy day. At any rate, I experienced a timely bit of trail magic today courtesy of a couple named "South Park" and "Ma'am." Just as I emerged from the woods to a road crossing, they pulled up in their car and offered me a cold one and some delicious homemade zucchini bread. It was outta sight. Just what I needed just when I needed it. Thanks, Ma'am and South Park, you made my day!

A longer hike today but no problem with new shoes.

Staying at Bobblet's Gap shelter. Soon I'll need to use my tent exclusively, rain or shine; the mosquitoes are starting to bite.

2 comments:

  1. Such a pleasure to be able to help. Will be following your northward journey. Good Luck.
    Ma'am

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome! i've read of this. so cool to hear it still/actually happens and happened to you! thanks to ma'am and south park.

    ReplyDelete