Saturday, August 11, 2012

Day 132: 8/10/12

Miles today: 6.7
Total miles: 1,765.4
Miles remaining: 418.8

Short, tough day. We got a late start because of thunderstorms then had a slow, slippery climb up Smarts Mountain, one of my toughest climbs on the trail up until this point. The trail was a river, and the rock climbs were waterfalls. I've done well hiking in the rain lately but not today. It was cold and demoralizing and the miles were hard-earned. But I didn't have any falls, which was my biggest worry on the slippery rocks.
At the top of the mountain was a shelter that we're staying at. It's an enclosed shelter with four walls(!) so we're able to stay warm. Hopefully my clothes will dry out before tomorrow morning.
Anyway, tomorrow's a new day so today's hardship will be a distant memory in no time.

Staying at Smart's Mountain shelter.

No comments:

Post a Comment