Monday, August 27, 2012

Day 147: 8/25/12

Miles today: 9.7
Total miles: 1,917.0
Miles remaining: 267.2

A hard day. Had to dig deep for this one. Started the day by hiking through the infamous Mahoosuc Notch, dubbed "the hardest mile on the AT." It's a labyrinth of a rock scramble that requires as much climbing with one's hands as one's feet. You have to take your pack off several times to squeeze through rocky crevasses and caves. I don't know whether it's the most difficult mile I've had on the trail but it was definitely one of the most dangerous. If I had to guess I'd day that "Mahoosuc" is the Indian word for "death trap." But I made it through alive.
The rest of the day was more rock scrambles and mountain climbing, all slow miles.
Testament, Man Boy, and I set up camp near a road crossing, had a cold beer courtesy of some trail magic, and hit the hay without making dinner. We're all too exhausted to eat. Sleep is wonderful.

Camping at Grafton Notch near Maine highway 26.

No comments:

Post a Comment