Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Day 141: 8/19/12

Miles today: 11.8
Total miles: 1,857.0
Miles remaining: 327.2

Epic hike today. Clear skies, huge views. One of my favorite days on the trail. Just unbelievable. We left camp this morning to tackle Mt. Washington. At 6,288 ft it's the biggest of the White Mountains and the second highest peak on the entire AT. Only Clingman's Dome way back in the Smokies was taller. The views from the ridge up to Washington were spectacular. This is notoriously bad-weather territory so to have clear blue skies was fortuitous. I haven't the words to describe what I saw or how alive I felt today. I'll remember this day for the rest of my life.
Other mountains climbed today were Mt. Pierce, Mt. Franklin, Mt. Jefferson, and Mt. Madison, each with its own challenges and rewarding views.
At the end of the day I stopped at Madison Spring hut with several other thru-hikers for work-for-stay. Washed dishes in exchange for dinner and a floor to sleep on. It's nice to be with the hiker community at the end of a day like this to unwind with.

Epic day today.

Staying at Madison Spring hut.

No comments:

Post a Comment