Saturday, June 2, 2012

Day 62: 6/1/12

Miles today: 13.8
Total miles: 835.5

Fewer miles today but they were hard-earned. A long 3000-ft descent followed by a tough 3000-ft climb. During the rocky ascent it was pouring rain. It would have been a difficult enough climb even without the bad weather but the rain made the rocks slippery and the hiking slow. Thunder and lightning added an element of stress that made me want to run the remaining miles to the next shelter, if not for the thirty pounds on my back. Many of my friends have told me they envy me for hiking the AT. I assure you, they do not envy days like today.
At the end of the climb was another long downhill, then I arrived at the shelter. I'd liked to have gone farther today but I settled for the 13.8 miles to get out of the pouring rain.
It's an enjoyable evening at the shelter with Boots, Hippity-Hop, and some section hikers, sitting around cracking jokes and quoting South Park episodes while the rain pours outside.
Tomorrow I'll get up early and walk the remaining 21 miles to Waynesboro to meet my parents for a visit and take a few days' break from the trail.

Staying at Maupin Field shelter.

No comments:

Post a Comment