Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Day 88: 6/27/12

Miles today: 14.5
Total miles: 1,187.6

Got up early as planned and was on the trail by 6:30 this morning. I arrived near my resupply point around 2:00 so I had plenty of time to get in and out of town. I'm not keen on hitch hiking but it was necessary this time to avoid an eight-mile round trip. The ride in was easy; the first driver I saw pulled over and gave me a lift into Pine Grove, a very nice little town with a good supermarket. On the way out of town I didn't find a ride quite so quickly. I started walking back but as I was passing in front of the Pine Grove Wesleyan Church a man flagged me down and offered me a lift. He introduced himself as Cody and he was a fellow hiker, a kindred spirit. As he dropped me off back at the trail he said a prayer for me. Thanks to people like him the AT experience is much easier for thru-hikers.
As I got to the shelter just past the road crossing there was a huge hiker feed going on. Tacos, desserts, sodas, and good company. A fine day on the trail.

1 comment:

  1. "I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again."
    Stephen Grellet
    Quaker Missionary

    ReplyDelete