Friday, June 8, 2012

Day 68: 6/7/12

Miles today: 20.6
Total miles: 910.1

Saw my first bear today. It was about 20 yards from me and must've heard me coming and took off into the woods. I didn't get a good look at it, but it was big, black, and furry. Definitely ursine.
Had a good hike today and put in some good miles. I met another guy from San Francisco this afternoon, the first I've met on the trail from SF.
At the end of the day about a mile from the shelter I came across a camp store (gotta love the resources of a national park). Packed out a few beers and headed to camp. Caught up with Socks and Wiseguy and some others I'd fallen behind. Lots of German speakers at the shelter tonight, Germans and Swiss. I've been practicing my German with them. I've spoken more German on the AT than I have since my visit to Germany 18 years ago.
My calf hurts. Took a liberal dose of ibuprofen.

Staying at Bearface Mountain shelter.

No comments:

Post a Comment