Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Day 81: 6/20/12

Miles today: 15.8
Total miles: 1,078.7

Kind of a weird day. Nothing particularly weird happened, it just felt odd at times. Nice hiking today, PA has been very pretty so far. It was hot, in the upper 90s, so I took it easy and took lots of breaks. Slow going today.
I didn't see a single other thru-hiker all day long. Odd.
I had to do a quick resupply and I knew there was a grocery about .7 from a road crossing so I stashed my pack in the woods and walked on down. It wasn't an interstate I was walking along but it was a highway so it didn't feel very safe. But there was a nice big shoulder so I was ok. The grocery store was a small-town operation so the selection wasn't great but I got enough food to get me to my next resupply. I hustled back to the trail, found my pack, and started filling my food bag when I realized half the food I'd bought wasn't there. I don't know if the cashier didn't bag everything or if I just absent-mindedly didn't grab everything. Either way, I wasn't about to go another 1.4 miles out of my way down that dangerous highway to get the rest. I'd rather just eat the lost money and do another minor resupply tomorrow.
I got back on the trail and hiked 2.7 miles up a huge hill and reached the shelter. It's one of the nicest shelters I've seen on the trail, or at least one of the best cared-for. It's very clean and kept up, with hanging flower baskets. And I'm the only one here. Odd.

Staying at Quarry Gap shelter.

No comments:

Post a Comment