Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Day 80: 6/19/12

Miles today: 22.7
Total miles: 1,062.9

A long day, lotta hiking. Started out the way yesterday ended: foggy and dreary. I was unmotivated again. Managed to grind out eight miles, then stopped for lunch. Just then the sun came out and my mood improved instantly. Throughout the afternoon the terrain became more difficult but it also became more fun. The usual ascents and descents only very rocky so it became a demanding climbing day. Wasn't expecting that; I'd figured Maryland would be all flat and soft earth.
This afternoon I met a cat randomly walking down the trail. He was friendly and didn't seem to be hungry or anything, so I assume he lives nearby.
Toward the end of the day I came upon Pen-Mar state park. A beautiful spot to stop for dinner and fill up on clean water. Ran into Boots and Grundlehammer there, hadn't seen them in a few days. After dinner I pressed on and did another five miles. Left Maryland behind and crossed into Pennsylvania. 6 states down, 8 to go.
Barely made it to camp with enough sunlight to hang my food and set up my tent.

Camping near Deer Lick shelter.

No comments:

Post a Comment