Friday, June 29, 2012

Day 90: 6/29/12

Miles today: 11.7
Total miles: 1,219.0

A hard day. It rained overnight so I broke camp late today to allow my tent to dry out. It was the hottest day I've had on the trail so far. I was sweating bullets before I even started hiking.
Hiked down an incredibly steep decline into Port Clinton, a small town with the usual resources: shower, restaurants, etc. But I skipped all that; I'd lost enough time with my late start. It was about 2pm at that point, and the heat was at its peak. Getting out of town was a 1000-ft climb back up. I'd drank all my water by the time I got to the top. Problem. The heat was unbearable. I was really hurting for water by the time I got to the next spring. When I did I drank two liters of the coldest, freshest, most satisfying spring water I've ever had. Then filled all my bottles and moved on.
A few miles later I stopped briefly for dinner then pushed another 1.5 miles to Pulpit Rock. It's a great view and a perfect place to stop for the day so I pitched my tent and crashed. A good ending to a hard day.

Camping at Pulpit Rock.

No comments:

Post a Comment