Monday, July 9, 2012

Day 100: 7/9/12

Miles today: 15.0
Total miles: 1,352.0

Tough day. The miles just weren't coming. I'd walk for two hours only to have hiked a mile. Four hours, only six miles. By dinnertime I'd only done ten. I was going to call it a day at that point but I wanted to put in a few more, plus I had some daylight left.
At about 7:30, with an hour or so of light left I decided to climb Wawayanda Mountain. Kind of a mistake since it ended up being very difficult and time consuming, leaving me virtually no time to set up camp. It is nice, though, at the top of this mountain. I didn't do a great job of hanging my food, but I've got my tent set up nearby and I left my rainfly off so I can see any bears trying to get at my food. I know there are bears around; I saw a mother bear and four cubs at the base of this mountain. Hopefully I won't have to scare any off tonight.
Water is still hard to come by. I've started carrying three liters instead of two, which adds weight but has proven necessary.
Tomorrow will be my last day in New Jersey.

Camping at the summit of Wawayanda Mountain.

No comments:

Post a Comment