Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Day 101: 7/10/12

Miles today: 15.7
Total miles: 1,368.0

Had a cool night under the stars last night atop Wawayanda Mountain. Not a spectacular night sky, but it was cool sleeping in my tent without the rain fly; I could see everything. Privacy wasn't an issue because there wasn't another living soul on top of that mountain. Very cool, I'll have to do more of that.
This morning I did an easy eight miles and crossed the border into New York. 8 states down, 6 to go. The rest of the day's miles were hard-won and slow. I was doing about one mile an hour for much of the day, less than half my average speed. It was a brutal bouldering challenge that made my feet want to cry. Toes too. But it was a pretty hike, and the views were the best I've seen in a while. From one view over Greenwood Lake I could see the NYC skyline in the distance. Very clear day.
The hiking was so rough that I skipped my resupply. I may regret the results of that decision but I don't regret that decision. It would've taken too long to get in and out of town. But I did stop off at Bellvale Creamery, a local ice cream joint that was supposed to have some super duper creamy ice. It did indeed. I had two large sundaes and a buncha soda. I took a nice long break there and had some good conversation with several locals.
Afterwards I hiked a few more miles and called it a day. Set up my tent and jumped in just as it started pouring rain. Nice timing, eh?

Camping near Wildcat shelter.

No comments:

Post a Comment