Saturday, July 7, 2012

Day 98: 7/7/12

Miles today: 13.1
Total miles: 1,319.0

Challenging day today. Couldn't find water when I needed to. It was there, but side trails to springs weren't marked so I went without water for awhile. I've been filling up all bottles every chance I get and strategizing where I start and stop each day based on where the water is.
At lunchtime I came to a road crossing where there was a nice tavern so I stopped and had some pints (I know, I know, I shouldn't drink alcohol when water is hard to come by, sue me). Had fun talking to the locals there. Hearing the east coast accents instead of southern accents is a good indication of the progress I've made, distance-wise.
Having a few gear challenges. I need a new backpack; one of my main zippers is broken so I'm working with REI to score a free replacement when I'm in NYC next week. Lots of phone calls, shipping complications, etc. But it's all good, I'll get it worked out one way or another. During a trip this long gear issues happen to everybody, no big deal.
Came to a shelter later on and had dinner but didn't dare hike any farther today; it's a long way to the next water source so I'm going to wait until after breakfast before I hike on. Plus it's a fun group at the shelter tonight. Lately I've been keeping to myself, enjoying my solitude, but dinner tonight was a good social scene.

Camping near Gren Anderson shelter.

No comments:

Post a Comment