Saturday, July 14, 2012

Day 104: 7/13/12

Miles today: 17.3
Total miles: 1,412.2

Another hard day. But the hard days are the most valuable. If this thing were easy it'd have no value. Started early and headed toward Peekskill, which would be a resupply point. Crossed the Hudson River early on and had another five miles before the store. I ran out of food and had to tough it out until I could buy more. In the meantime I ate lots of berries when I could find them along the trail.
Came to the grocery, which was just a gas station so my resupply was just pop tarts, ramen, and payday bars, but it also had a huge deli inside. So before I got back on the trail I had a big hoagie (or "sangwich" as it's known in NY), a pint of ice cream and two liters of ginger ale. Got back on the trail and put in the rest of my miles.
When it was time to camp I found a nice campsite just off a road crossing up a dirt road. Just after I set up my tent I heard a big truck pull up that dirt road (that had a sign that read "no motor vehicles") into the camping area. The song "highway to the danger zone" was blasting from the truck. "Here we go," I told myself. An evening with loud rowdy locals when all I wanted to do was sleep. But these guys turned out to be really cool. They weren't loud at all. And they invited me to hang out with them for a few. They gave me beer, steak, sausage, and bacon. I'm continually being taught lessons in random acts of kindness out here.

Camping off Dennytown Road.

No comments:

Post a Comment