Monday, July 16, 2012

Day 107: 7/16/12

Miles today: 2.4
Total miles: 1,442.8

Busy day today. Got up early, took the morning commuter train into NYC. Love that town, such great energy there. Took the subway from grand central to soho to visit the REI store there. Big store, I geeked out on all the hiking gear like a kid in a candy store. They replaced my backpack, sleeping pad, and trekking poles, and I got some other odds and ends. My new backpack is the same model as my old one but it's far more comfortable. Nice fresh new shoulder strap padding. That, and it doesn't smell like a duffel bag fulla hockey gear the way my old one had.
I must admit, it was fun walking around in an urban scene in my hiking gear and gnarly hippie beard, wearing my backpack around Times Square like a BOSS.
New gear in hand (or on back, if you will), I headed up to Midtown to visit my work colleagues at Frank, Rimerman + Co's New York office. There I met with Sangini, Marc, and Jose, all of whom I probably hadn't seen in over a year. We went to a super awesome deli for lunch and I quelled my hiker appetite with a turkey sangwich (not a typo - still in New York, remember). Afterwards we went back to the office for a video call with my IT colleagues back in California, that was cool to see them again.
When the day was done I took the train back to Pawling and headed back toward the trail. I did have to make one final stop at an Italian deli to get one more New York sangwich.
Hiked a quick couple of miles then set up camp at a garden center/nursery that is hiker-friendly.
Tomorrow will be my last day in New York. It's been a challenge, this state, but it's very pretty here and I've had a lot of fun. New Yorkers have been some of the coolest, most generous people I've encountered on the trail.

Camping at Native Landscapes and Garden Centers.




No comments:

Post a Comment