Friday, July 20, 2012

Day 111: 7/20/12

Miles today: 14.6
Total miles: 1,498.0

Connecticut won me over today. The hiking was great, the weather was different, the views were spectacular, town was nice, got some good miles in, and had a very productive day overall.
Woke up early after a gentle rain fell through the night and into the morning. Went back to sleep in case it would stop but the weather called my bluff. I would have to get up and break camp in the rain. Turned out ok. It was a light rain after all.
The rain was a huge relief today. A welcome change from the heat. Not sweating for once, not having to drink 45 gallons of water, feeling cold air for a change - so nice.
I took a wrong turn early on and added probably at least a mile to my day. Whoops. Went ten miles to the town of Salisbury for resupply. Nice little town, very New England. Bought a ton of food from their local grocery, 5 days' worth. My pack now weighs approx. one thousand lbs.
I was tempted to call for a shuttle to a local hostel I'd seen advertised, but it was only about 4:30, early enough to hike some more. Did a 1,000-ft climb out of town, and had a magnificent view from the top, known as Lion's Head. The best view I've had in a long time on the AT. Hung out there with two local guys from Hartford, Ray and Rob. Cool dudes. Funny guys.
After the view hiked a quick .7 miles to camp. That was a beautiful stretch of trail. The mountain laurel, the rocky grade of the trail itself, the color of the sky at dusk, the fresh air - really nice end to the day.
Had a good conversation at the shelter with this guy Dave, who thru-hiked the AT and the PCT in the early nineties.
Hoping my tent dries tonight. Looking forward to breakfast tomorrow, I put a LOT of brown sugar in my oat mix.

Today was what a day on the AT ought to be.

Camping near Riga shelter.



No comments:

Post a Comment