Sunday, July 8, 2012

Day 99: 7/8/12

Miles today: 18.3
Total miles: 1,337.3

Hard-earned miles today. New Jersey is beating up on me. Banged my shin on a log, constant bleeding from one mosquito bite or another, incredibly sore right foot, and some gnarly shoulder strap rash on both shoulders. That last one is mostly from heat and humidity but probably also because I haven't washed my pack at all. I'll need to start doing that once I get my replacement pack in a few days.
Slow hiking today because of all the rocks. That seems to be a recurring theme these days. But the last five miles or so were much nicer on the feet.
At the end of the day I came upon a real gem on the AT. Just off the trail is a property owned by some dude named Jim Murray. He's a former thru-hiker who bought a big farm and cabin for hikers to stay at for free. I'm tenting here under a big open sky, hoping to see some stars. There's also a well with some tasty cold water, a real treat these days.
Tomorrow will probably be my last full day in New Jersey. It's been nice hiking here, the ticks notwithstanding.

I'm sleeping in tomorrow. It is decided.

Camping at Jim Murray's property, about two miles south of Lott Rd in Unionville, NY.

No comments:

Post a Comment